Yuwaya Ngarra-li hosted the Walgett Food Forum - "Food and Water is Life!" 8 April 2019. Read our statement here
and report released 26 June 2019 here
. The Dharriwaa Elders Group identified the need to improve access to available affordable nutritious food in Walgett as a priority for Yuwaya Ngarra-li from key community concerns raised in our Community Data Gathering in December 2018 and in our community consultations and workshops developing the Action Plan for Children and Young People in April and May 2018. These concerns include:
- * the lack of affordable healthy food options and social places to eat is having an adverse impact on health.
- * the degradation of the rivers over time and the most recent rapid stopping of flow have had increasingly devastating
effects on sources of food.
To learn from and act on these community concerns and perspectives, the aims of the Yuwaya Ngarra-li Food Forum
- * Provide data and research about what is known about food issues relevant to Aboriginal people in Walgett and
impacts on long-term health and wellbeing
- * Gather community members and critical services, organisations, and other stakeholders together to discuss food
issues in Walgett
- * Facilitate a public forum that is action oriented and focused on positive strategies and evidence-based solutions.